With warming cinnamon and sweet toffee pears, smooth mascarpone and zesty orange, this is the ultimate indulgent option for your breakfast or brunch menu. Better still, it’s quick to prepare and looks just as good as it tastes.
Yield: 5 servings / 10 pieces of French Toast
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1. Whisk the eggs, vanilla & milk together in a large bowl. Thickly slice the loaf of bread – aim to get about 10 pieces. Set aside. In a separate bowl combine the cinnamon and sugar, stir to combine.
2. Cut the pears into quarters avoiding the core and then slice thinly lengthways.
3. Cook the pears, in batches to ensure enough surface area to caramelise, in a non-stick frying pan with equal divide of the brown sugar. Stir regularly. When the pears begin to turn see-through and a golden toffee-like consistency has formed, turn them out onto a baking paper lined tray and place in the oven at 180°Cfor 10 minutes.
4. In a small saucepan, add the orange juice and simmer on a medium heat until the orange juice has reduced by 2/3 to form a thick syrup, then place in the freezer for 2 minutes to allow to cool. Once cool combine the orange syrup and orange zest with the mascarpone and mix well.
5. Heat a large non-stick fry pan on medium high heat with a generous teaspoon of butter. Dip 2 slices of bread into the egg mixture, coating both sides, then add to the frying pan and cook until golden on both sides. Remove from the pan and immediately place in the cinnamon and sugar mix, ensuring all sides are coated. Repeat with the remaining bread.
6. Serve the French Toast immediately onto a plate with a quenelle of the orange mascarpone and top with toffee pears.