Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1. Mix group one on slow speed with dough hook for 2 minutes until a dough has formed.
2. Add group two and continue mixing for another 1 minute – until the Pastry Margarine has broken up and evenly dispersed through the dough but still visible.
3. Fold the pastry with 1 x half turn and 4 x full turns. Rest for 30 minutes between each turn. Keep the pastry covered while resting so it doesn’t dry out.
4. Once all the turns have been completed, rest the pastry overnight (covered). If storing the pastry in a chiller overnight, ensure it is brought back to room temperature before use the next day.
5. Sheet the pastry out to a thickness of 2 ¾ on the pastry brake and roll out on the work bench.
6. Mark out the strips for the strudel – you should achieve 4 strips wide and cut to the appropriate lengths required.
For the Apple Strudel Filling:
1. Place approximate 900g of Apple Strudel Filling on a Full Length strip of pastry (full length of baking tray).
2. For the top of the strudel, fold a strip of pastry lengthwise and using a knife cut the folded part of the pastry on a 45 degree angle.
3. Place the top over the fruit and press down around the edges.
4. Brush the pastry with egg wash.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220°C oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
6. Once cool, drizzle with some soft fondant icing.