With more New Zealanders looking for vegetarian and 'better for you' menu options these spiced Cauliflower burgers are the perfect dish. They deliver a bright flavour of spices including turmeric – which gives an attractive golden colour as well as recognised health benefits. For a gluten free option simply switch in gluten free breadcrumbs and use lettuce cups or Vogel’s gluten free buns.
Yield: 4 serving
Serving size: 150g
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Expert tips: Red quinoa can be substituted with white quinoa or a combination of both.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
2. On a tray, rub cauliflower with oil and spices. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 10-15 mins or until the cauliflower is golden brown and softened.
3. Put quinoa and water in a pot and bring to boil, then lower to a gentle simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water.
4. Put the roasted cauliflower in a food processor and process until they resemble fine crumbs.
5. Place quinoa, breadcrumbs and eggs in with the cauliflower and process until just combined. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Form the mixture into 150g patties and fry each side for 2-3 minutes over a medium-high heat.
7. To assemble the burger, butter and lightly toast the burger buns. Smear a tablespoon of chutney on the base of each burger bun and top with the cauliflower burger pattie, lettuce, tomato, cucumber & sprouts. Smear a tablespoon of mayonnaise on the top of each burger bun and place on top.